SIDEWAYS IS GOOD FOR TALENT RETENTION
Updated: Oct 14, 2021
Here's 5 things we regularly see requiring action when organisations commit to refocusing effort on their approach to internal talent mobility.
1. Posting roles ‘internally’ is not a strategy. ‘We advertise all roles’ is a regular retort.
Tip: What’s the real experience internally ? Can you simplify the experience & amplify the value of internal talent.
2. Budgets are externally focused. A disproportionate % of TA budgets are spent on tech, resource & advertising linked to external hiring.
Tip: Re-think the budget to reflect the priority talent.
3. Leaders can help & hinder. External talent is still considered premium. Change the mindset of ‘find and own’ to one of ‘develop and release’. Old policies & practices can constrain progress.
Tip: Elevate the leader ! Re-educate & train on the ‘why’ & the ‘how’. Make them feel valued & hold them to account (e.g. “you’re now an accredited bar raiser”).
4. Engagement is an outcome. People stick with you if they know they matter.
Tip: Identify a few high impact touch points where an improved experience & message lets people know they, & their careers, matter.
5. The ‘white glove’ approach at scale is a challenge. TA/HR teams don’t typically have capacity to coach & enable an internal talent marketplace. This connects to elevating leaders to drive & own this.
Tip: Some great tools & platforms focus on managing & supporting talent mobility. A few industry leaders to investigate include Gloat, Fuel50, Avature & Phenom People.
About The Career Conversation
We help make the hiring experience more 'human'
We target and ignite the mindset, skills and behaviours in hiring leaders and candidates with digital micro learning material.
We make it easier to connect and engage at scale. Designed, delivered and measured.
If you’d like to know more we’d love to share case studies.